Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tinkerbell Inspired Cake

Today is my first posting for this blog. After dozens of cakes, I decided to start a cake blog. It's been quite the journey and a wonderful one at that.

My mom Mary Kay and I are quite the team decorating and making these cakes. It's something that we both love.

A little bit about myself. I'm married to a wonderful man and have three beautiful kids who light up my life every day. I also run a busy orthopedic medical practice.

The cake fascination started when I was a little girl watching my mom bake and decorate cakes. She would make my brother and my birthday cakes as well as cakes for our cousins and even a wedding cake for my aunt. I can remember when my mom was working full time, exhausted and found the energy to make me a cake when I was 13. It meant so much and that's saying a lot because I was a teenager! The other thing I remember is we went to dinner that night and when we got home the cat had walked across the top off the cake. The kitty paw prints in the top of the cake gave it away. We laughed and ate the icing in the mixing bowl instead!

As a mom I wanted to make cakes for my kids, family and friends. I love coming up with ideas and learning new techniques.

So here is the Tinkerbell inspired cake we made yesterday for my beautiful niece. It was made over two weekends to let the gum paste flowers dry. This was one of my favorites so far. The top tier was lemon with lemon curd filling and the bottom tier was marble with fudge filling. The best thing about this cake was using my new airbrush (thank you mom for my birthday present!). We used the pearl essence color to make it sparkle. A little, okay maybe a lot of luster dust was used as well. It needed pixie dust, right?

I'll post pictures soon of the other cakes and cupcakes.

Thanks for reading!



No comments:

Post a Comment