Wednesday, February 27, 2013

That Will Be a Piece of Cake

A friend asked me to make her sister a baby shower cake back in January. I of course said yes not only because she's a good friend but also because I've never made a baby shower cake. We figured out a plan for the cake. The design we chose was very simple but cute so we thought this won't take much time at all.

Famous last words....

Three days before we were supposed to make the cake I started to get a scratchy throat. The next day (two days before the shower) I woke up with chills, fever and a cough. Are you kidding me??? I don't have time for this. My mom arrived that night and started baking the cake. By the next day, I at least felt up to decorating the cake.

The hardest part about this cake were the toy blocks on top. They were made out of cake which we thought would be easy. We couldn't be more wrong. After multiple attempts, we figured out its best to freeze the cake cubes because small pieces of moist cake break apart when trying to ice and cover them in fondant. Also using jam or jelly is good to use instead of icing for small objects like the blocks.

We delivered the cake the next day and I was so grateful for my mom because there is no way I could have done it on my own.

Never ever say it will be easy because you will definitely jinx yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Another super job, Looks good enough to eat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Glad to see you Happy Amy and having a good friendship with MoM----I grew up with mom and dad---you were just a little one last time I saw you.....

    ReplyDelete