Wednesday, March 20, 2013

FaceTime

A friend asked me to make her Grandmother's 80th birthday cake this weekend. I called my partner to see if she was available to help that weekend and she of course said yes. My friend requested a floral cake which was great because I love making flowers. A week before I started to make the flowers. But as I was making them I was thoroughly bored. I was on my own except of course my little sidekicks, my three and six year old daughters. My mom who is my partner in my cake decorating hobby was not here.

My husband being incredible thoughtful got the IPad, called my mom on FaceTime and set it up in front of me so we could chit chat and make the gumpaste flowers together. I love sitting around with family doing crafts, cooking, baking or just catching up. I'm from the Midwest and I think it's ingrained in me. I can remember as a little girl watching my great aunts, my mom and our dear sweet friend Cola drinking their sweet tea, sitting around the table chit chatting. I loved it then and I love it now.

The cake was a two tiered carrot cake covered in a vanilla buttercream, then covered in vanilla fondant with gumpaste flowers. My great aunts and Cola would have loved this one, especially the carrot cake. We just need to make some sweet tea to go with it.





No comments:

Post a Comment